Show/Hide Navigation Menu
Phone Handset
We're open 24/7 call us on
0800 078 9582
Or for local rates
0161 920 7901

What Documents do I Need to Sell my House in the UK?

Deciding whether or not you want to sell your house can be a tricky process in itself. However, the hard work begins right after you’ve made the decision and start the selling process. Organising your documents is a very important step you need to take in order to get your house selling process up and running. In what follows, we’ll answer the question: “what documents do I need to sell my house in the UK?”.

11 Documents You Need to Sell Your House in the UK

Management Information Pack

If you want to sell your property fast, having a management information pack could increase your chances of doing so by quite a bit. A management information pack, also known as a leasehold information pack, contains information about the freehold management, forming part of the leasehold information a seller is formally required to provide to their buyer.

You can either hire a solicitor to obtain the pack for you or you can acquire it yourself from the managing agent or freeholder. However, you should keep in mind that it takes a few weeks for the pack to arrive. If you’re on a tight schedule, purchasing this sooner rather than later can be a big boost. If your managing agent is unresponsive or if you’re having issues with your estate agent, check our guide on what to do if your estate agent isn’t performing.

Property Title Deeds

The original property title deeds are another document you will likely need in order to sell your property. This document will contain the details pertaining to the chain of ownership of your property. Unless you already have the title deeds, you’ll need to check whether these are digitally registered under your name with the HM Land Registry.

Photo credit: ESB Professional/Shutterstock

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificates contain details about how energy efficient a particular property is. Homes are given energy efficiency ratings ranging from A to G, with A being the most efficient. This is an important document for prospective buyers as they will want to know approximately how much energy bills will cost them once they move in or if they will need to invest in improving the efficiency of the property’s energy system. If you’ve misplaced your EPC, you might be able to access a copy at the register by simply providing them with your address.

Proof of Identity

In order to successfully sell your house, you will also need some form of photo ID which proves your identity as the owner of the property you’re trying to sell. Without a valid form of ID, your sale won’t go through. If you don’t have ID, be sure to apply for whatever photo ID you choose in advance as some can take several weeks to be issued. If you don’t have anything which can prove your identity, you might end up losing out on a buyer that can’t wait around for delays.

Shared Freehold or Leasehold Documents

If the property you are trying to sell is a leasehold, you will need to provide prospective buyers with the lease for said property. If it is a freehold, the Share Certificate will need to be provided.

Photo credit: Stmool/Shutterstock

The TA10 Form

The TA10 Form, also known as the fittings and contents form, serves the function of allowing both parties to agree upon what fixtures will be included in the sale of your home. The document will cover every room in the property and is meant to disclose every item you will leave in the property for the new owner to use as he pleases after the sale is completed. Both the indoor and outdoor areas of your property are covered in the TA10 form.

The TA6 Form

The TA6 Form, also known as the property information form, is another mandatory document for those wishing to sell their property. It is one of the largest documents you will need to complete when selling your house, so be sure to set aside enough time for it. It is designed in order to streamline the conveyancing process and contains many pieces of information including the seller’s details, information on any work which has been done to the property, details of current tenants, information on boundaries, and many more.

Boiler Service Records and the CORGI

If you or a prior owner has replaced the boiler, you will need to provide your buyer with a gas safe certificate (known as a CORGI). If you cannot provide up to date service records for your boiler, your buyer will certainly ask for a service to take place so that they know what shape the boiler is in and if they would need to invest in order to bring it up to standards.

Electrical certificates

Electrical certificates detailing all of the electrical work which has been carried out at the property are also something you need to provide prospective buyers with. If you don’t have an up to date building regulations compliance certificate or an electrical safety certificate for your property, you’ll need to hire an electrician to provide you with these documents. These then need to be given to the next homeowner.

FENSA Certificate

FENSA stands for Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme and the certificate you will need to obtain before you sell your property will contain details pertaining to any doors or windows which were replaced after 2002. The certificate will establish whether or not the replacement door/window complies with building regulations.

Photo credit: George Rudy/Shutterstock

Documentation Pertaining to Alterations and Extensions

If you’ve made any extensions or alterations to your home hoping these would add value to your property before selling, you’ll need to prove that all the proper legal procedures were followed. One way of doing this is to provide your buyer with planning permissions for any renovations which took place. It’s important to note that not all modifications require permission, so you’ll need to do your research on a case by case basis!

Don’t have time to gather all the necessary documents?

If your busy lifestyle doesn’t allow you enough free time to gather all of the documents you need, you might want to look into hiring a solicitor or company to take on the process for you or at least provide some help. Furthermore, your house selling preparations will definitely be helped by reading our guide on what you need to declare when selling a house. Also, be on the lookout for scammers; lots of them set their sights on people who need to sell their property quickly. Our guide on the top 5 UK house buying scams you need to know about could save you some time and trouble.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What our customers have to say


Fast Sale Homes pretty much saved my life. I was under tremendous pressure facing repossession. I could not sleep, my family was suffering, and the stress was starting to over come me. Fast Sale Homes bought my house in just over a week and I settled my debts. My family and I are now putting our lives back together and moving on. I am not sure I would have made it without Ed and the team.

Keith, Hull

My husband and I found our dream retirement home in Somerset, however we just couldn't find a buyer for our long term home in Barnsley. We approached Fast Sale Homes, and found ourselves ready to move and complete on both the purchase and the sale in under a month. The Fast Sale Homes team were super helpful and professional. I would recommend them to anyone.

Bernadette, Somerset

The team at Fast Sale Homes helped me through a difficult time in my life. They helped minimise the time it took and offered me a fair deal, all the while being polite and professional. Thank you Fast Sale Homes.

Parker, Stoke-On-Trent